The Iconic Electric London Taxi Is Now On Sale In Japan

The Iconic Electric London Taxi Is Now On Sale In Japan

by Becky Harrison |
posted 17 January 2020

A London icon is about to become a familiar sight in Japan. The original London taxi, now totally redesigned for the 21st Century by London Electric Vehicle (LEVC), is a purpose-built high-quality model suitable for both the taxi and premium shuttle markets, with ample space for six passengers, wheelchair access and renowned eCity technology.

The TX combines more than 130 km of zero-emissions pure electric range with the flexibility of a total electrically driven range of 600km - made possible thanks to the on-board range-extender.

Premium and accessible, the electric TX will bring a whole new experience to Japanese passengers, not just meeting local regulations but far exceeding them, boasting a panoramic roof, charging points for mobile phones and laptops, alongside unrivalled cabin space.

“We are delighted to further grow our international footprint of green mobility solutions with the launch of the TX in Japan,” said Joerg Hofmann, LEVC’s CEO. “The electric TX will set new standards across Japan in the taxi and premium shuttle market, delighting passengers, drivers and fleet operators alike. We are looking forward to seeing TX on the streets of Tokyo and across cities throughout Japan.”

Thanks to its combination of greater space, agile manoeuvrability and far better wheelchair access, not to mention its iconic status as the original London cab, LEVC expects TX taxi and shuttle to be bought by operators who would otherwise use large premium saloons and minivans.

Fleetway and Service Company, based in Yokohama, has been selected as the official importer and retailer of LEVC models. Order books open in February and first customer deliveries begin in Q2 2020.

“We are reinventing a British icon,” adds Hofmann, “transforming the company from a traditional taxi manufacturer to a green mobility company, producing a wider range of electric commercial vehicles.

LEVC’s range will grow further in 2020 with the launch of a new electric van, based on the TX Taxi and sharing the same eCity technology. By 2022, LEVC expects that 60 percent of the vehicles built at its Coventry factory will be for export while the remaining 40 percent will service the UK.

 

valuation


Becky Harrison
Becky Harrison

Becky is part of the marketing team here at Money4yourMotors. Becky oversees a wide range of marketing activities including social media and content creation.