Home | Motoring Guides | What documents do I need when selling my car?
What documents do I need when selling my car

What documents do I need when selling my car

The test drive has gone well and you've shaken hands on the deal, but what next? It's not quite all over, there is still the paperwork to be dealt with.

When you're selling a car, you need to give a good impression, one that encourages the prospective buyer to have confidence in you. One way to do this is to have all the relevant documents and service history records organised and available.

When the transaction is completed, apart from completing the V5C Registration Certificate - more on that in a moment, there are one or two other essential documents that need to be sorted out.

Make sure, whether you are buying or selling that there is a receipt and that there are two copies - one for the seller and one for your buyer. The receipt should have the date, the price paid, the registration number, make and model, plus the names and addresses of both the parties involved.

Top Tip: If selling privately don't forget to create a receipt that includes date of sale, price paid, registration number and name and address of both seller and buyer

If you are the one selling, as well as passing over the keys - and don't forget any duplicate sets, give the new owner the vehicle's handbook and all the service history including any receipts you have, and the MOT certificates and other maintenance receipts, especially any stamped dealer service record. And finally, keep a separate note of the buyer's name and address.

Updating the V5C Registration Certificate

When buying a used vehicle, the way that you need to inform the DVLA that it now belongs to you depends on whether it has a V5C registration certificate (what would have once been the log book) or not. If there is a V5C registration certificate then the seller has the responsibility to complete section 6 of it with the new keeper details, and then to sign the declaration in section 8. The buyer also has to sign this too.

Additionally, the seller must complete section 10 – the new keeper supplement and then give that to the buyer. Some people will know this as the V5C/2. This must then be sent to the DVLA.

According to the government website, the 'DVLA aims to send out a new V5C to you within 2 to 4 weeks of getting the old V5C from the seller'. However, they recommend that if you don't receive it within 4 weeks you should complete a V62 form, the Application for a Vehicle Registration Certificate and send it to DVLA with the V5C/2 that was given you by the seller. By sending in the V5C/2 you do not have to pay the fee. You can download a V62 form online or pick one up from your local Post Office.

When you receive your registration certificate, it's your responsibility to check all the details are correct. If anything is incorrect, make the changes on the certificate and send it back to DVLA.

Warranty and Insurance

If there's any outstanding warranty on the car, let the company know that you have sold the car. If there is an opportunity to transfer the warranty then they will tell you the process. Don't delay in doing this, as often there is a time limit before the warranty will expire.

And, last, but not at all least, remember to tell your insurers that either you no longer own the car, or that you are now driving a new one. There may be a charge or fee to amend your insurance policy, but without telling them you will not be driving an insured vehicle which could lead to a host of problems.

and Finally...

There is all the information you need to know online at the www.gov.uk website, and you can download and print the necessary forms from there too. The Post Office will be able to help you with both explanation guides and the required forms.

Top Tip: By selling your car to Money4yourMotors a lot of the stages discussed here are simplified - we will even help to sort any outstanding finance you may have

It might seem that there's a lot of paperwork involved in the buying and selling process, but by being prepared and methodical, it won't be long before you'll be leaving all of that behind you and hitting the open road in your new car.

...back to all Motoring Guides